Sunday, January 19, 2014

2nd Sunday after Epiphany: January 19, 2014

Sermon for Sunday, January 19, 2014 (Second Sunday after Epiphany)

Preacher: Pastor Carrie Smith


"The E-Word"

Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

On Tuesday night, the Bethany Lutheran Church ministry teams met for the first time in 2014. It was very exciting to see new faces, and to have every table filled with ideas and energy for the New Year! Thanks be to God for all the ways in which you, my sisters and brothers in Christ, serve God and others through the work of this Church. Amen!

There was one ministry team, of course, that could have used a little love, and that was the “E-Team”. Some members have gone south for the winter, and some were sick. But the truth is, even on a good night, this is the ministry table that’s hardest to fill. While the Finance team is overflowing and actually needs to expand to more than one table, sometimes the E-Team could do without a table altogether. This week, they might have been fine with just a chair! We call this group the “E-Team” for short, I suppose to make people feel more comfortable about volunteering, but clearly folks are on to our little scheme. They know that “E” really stands for “Evangelism.”




Ah yes—Evangelism! Every Lutheran’s favorite subject! In case you think I’m picking on our church in particular, be assured that ours is not the only congregation that struggles with lack of excitement about evangelism. It seems to have become part of our culture as mainline, Protestant Christians to be, at best, indirect in our evangelism strategies. The funny thing is, that scary word, “Evangelism”, comes from the word “Euangelion” which simply means “Good News”. That means that we, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, could conceivably call ourselves the “Good News Lutheran Church in America.” So why are we, the Good News Church, so uncomfortable sharing the Good News about Jesus with others?

After all, we love to share our experiences, epiphanies, and revelations about almost everything else:

“Oh my gosh, you HAVE to see that new movie. It was amazing!”

“Have you been to that new restaurant? The food is just great!”

“Oh, you have the new iPhone? I prefer Android. Now let me tell you why you should definitely switch.”

“Have you tried Weight Watchers? It totally changed my life! You should come with me next week.”

“Did you hear that story on NPR this morning? The one about why bananas are radioactive? Let me tell you about it, even though I can’t remember all the facts and will probably just make parts of it up.”

“I am reading the MOST AMAZING book. Let me tell you the entire plot while you’re trying to get into your car with that bag of groceries.”

We love to share our thoughts, experiences, and revelations about nearly everything in our lives. So what is it about our faith in Jesus that makes us want to keep the news to ourselves?

I suspect one reason has something to do with our common stereotypes of evangelists, Bible thumpers, door-to-door salesmen, and missionaries on bicycles. No one likes to be convinced or debated or interrogated on her doorstep, and therefore no one wants to be seen as the convincer, the debater, or the interrogator. So, instead of talking about Jesus to our friends, or inviting someone to church, we work on making the inside of the church welcoming, comfortable, and attractive, on the off chance that someone stumbles in here by accident.

Another reason we might be uncomfortable sharing the Good News is we worry we won’t know what to say. What if someone asks a question about the Bible or about Jesus that I can’t answer? What if I offend them? What if I sound silly? Didn’t someone say it’s better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open our mouths and remove all doubt?

I can relate very well to this feeling of not knowing what to say. When I was in seminary (the first time around, in Minnesota), Robert and I worked as telefundraisers for the Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis. We did this for a whole summer, attending intensive Biblical Greek classes during the day and making fundraising calls in the evenings. I remember being so nervous to make those calls. What if they hung up on me? What if I offended them when I asked for money? What if they asked me something I didn’t know? We had a script we were supposed to stick to, of course, but that didn’t help to take away the feeling that I was selling something I knew nothing about, to people I knew nothing about.

And then a wonderful thing happened: the Guthrie Theater people gave us all free tickets to attend a production of “The Importance of Being Earnest,” with a champagne reception beforehand. So Robert and I emerged from our call center cubicles with the rest of the telefundraising crew, all dressed, and hobnobbed for one night with the theater crowd. And it was amazing! The actors were great. The show was hilarious. The theater itself was (and is) a gem in the middle of the city. We had a great time.

And the next day, when I got on the phone, things were very different.

“Hello, Mrs. Anderson? This is Carrie, calling on behalf of the Guthrie Theater. I just saw the new production of The Importance Being Earnest last night. Have you seen it yet? Let me tell you, it is just great. The acting, the sets, the theater itself, are just a treasure for our city. Don’t you agree?”

And this, I believe, is the secret of evangelism: Stick to what you know. Share only what you have experienced. Don’t worry about the script—speak from the heart.
 This is what John did in the Gospel lesson for today. The text says John declared, testified, and then exclaimed to anyone who would listen: “Here is the Lamb of God! That guy over there, he’s the one I’ve been talking about! Let me tell you how I baptized him, and how I saw the Spirit come down like a dove, and how even though I didn’t know who he was before, now I do know him! This Jesus is the One we’ve been waiting for!” Amen!

John had experienced something at Jesus’ baptism that changed him, and he just had to share it. But notice what he didn’t do: he didn’t write a dissertation or outline a systematic theology or debate anyone about what exactly it meant when the Spirit descended on Jesus like a dove. He didn’t have a script, and he didn’t try to sell anything to anyone. He simply pointed others in the direction of Jesus and shared what he knew to be true: “This Jesus is special. And my life is different now that I know him.”


And then it was Jesus who took over from there. The next part of today’s Gospel lesson tells how two disciples who heard John’s testimony started following Jesus. When Jesus turned and saw them following, he invited them into conversation, asking: “What are you looking for?” They in turn asked: “Teacher, where are you staying?” And Jesus said: “Come and see.”


“Come and see.” It was John who got their attention, but it was Jesus who invited people to experience the Good News for themselves. It is Jesus, crucified and risen, who does the real work of evangelism, sisters and brothers. It’s Jesus who calls to us from Scripture, saying “Come and see the path I have walked.” It’s Jesus who calls to us from the bread and the wine, saying “Come and see the healing and forgiveness I have to offer.” It’s Jesus who calls to us from the waters of baptism, saying “Come and see how much God loves you!”

Perhaps Evangelism isn’t so scary when we remember that we don’t have to be Jesus – but we do get to be John!

We get to be John, sharing our love for God and pointing others to Jesus, who has made all the difference for us. We get to be John, singing out loud and proud, what we know to be true: that Jesus Christ, through his teachings, his death, and his resurrection, has brought us light and life, purpose and joy, healing and forgiveness like no one else could. Amen!

And so, sisters and brothers in Christ, it is our right, our duty and our joy, to tell the story, to share the Good News, to sing songs and write poems and make art and sew quilts and serve the homeless and participate in international peace talks and balance the church budget and give hugs and advocate for the poor and forgive one another and maybe (just maybe) – serve on the Evangelism Team—not so we can change the minds of others, but because Jesus has changed us. And that is very Good News, indeed. Amen. 




No comments:

Post a Comment